Welcome to Port Hope Police Service
I would like to welcome you to the Port Hope Police Service's website. Here you will find links and other information such as our services to the public, crime prevention and our latest press releases to assist us to stay connected to our residents and visitors alike.
Our police officers and civilian support staff are very proud to provide excellent community-based policing services to this great Municipality. We work hard every day to ensure the safety and quality of day-to-day life expected by the citizens of Port Hope.
Port Hope Police Service received a report from a resident of Port Hope, advising they had received a fraudulent phone call regarding their credit card.
The complainant reported they had received a call from "TD Fraud Department," advising of unusual charges made on their credit card. The scammer provided the first 4 numbers on the credit card, and requested the owner to provide the rest of the credit card information, to prove they were the owner. The complainant became suspicious and hung up the phone, and immediately attended their bank. The complainant acted quickly, and was not out any money, and wanted to report the incident to help prevent someone falling for the scam.
Port Hope Police Service want to remind people that scams can happen to anyone. Port Hope Police Service want to provide tips to reduce your risk of being scammed over the phone:
- Ask questions, most fraud callers can "Spoof" government phone numbers.
- It is never a good idea to give out sensitive information like your Social Insurance Number to someone who calls you unexpectedly.
- If you are unsure that it is your bank calling, hang up and call the number on the back of your debit or credit card.
If you have been scammed, here are some key steps you should take immediately:
- Stop all communication with the scammer.
- Notify your financial institution and other companies where you have an account that may have been affected.
- Change all your passwords to your accounts.
- Protect your devices such as: computer, laptop, tablet if you used it to communicate with the scammer.
- Put an alert on your credit report by contacting Equifax Canada or TransUnion Canada.
Please contact the Port Hope Police Service, if you have any questions regarding a suspected scam.
If you have a crime to report to please call 905-885-8123, or email email@example.com or call Crime Stoppers at 1- 800-222-TIPS
Follow Port Hope Police on twitter, Instagram and Facebook